Thursday, November 2, 2017











A Poem in Memory of My Father, Jose Angel Peña, 1922--2000


The season of death is stealing in,
The mist-filled wood smells of decay.
This time four fleeting years ago
I saw you last, then went away.

Called from this blazing autumn vale,
I travelled far to your bedside.
There, in a foreign, open land
Low mezquites crouched resaca-side.

That arid place was your first home,
Land of your sweet, ill-fated birth.
There, in a hammock bathed by sun
You first knew love upon the earth.

The circle of your life closed fast;
We knew the time would not be long.
It was my gift to leave you last;
As you slept I sang a song:

Now I am going to the harbor
Where one meets the ship of gold
That must bear me away.
Now I am going;
I have come only to say farewell.
Goodbye, my love; goodbye forever, goodbye.

Never more will your eyes look upon me,
Nor your ears hear my song.
I will deepen the oceans with my tears.
Goodbye, my love; goodbye forever, goodbye

No comments:

Post a Comment